The original instrument is part of the furnishings of a wealthy Italian noble residence. Although the author’s signature is absent, a comparative analysis with an instrument signed and dated “Rome 1640”, recently restored in France, allows us to attribute the artefact in question to Giovan Pietro Polizzino. He was a well-known maker of “polyharmonic” instruments within the crowded seventeenth-century harpsichord-making Roman panorama. The instrument is large and of exquisite workmanship. Its compass was subsequently modified in GG / BB – c3 from the original C/E-f 3.
|COMPASS||C / E-f3|